Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Social Media

This is kind of a rant because I just want to put some of my thoughts up on here.
 
I have a lot of thoughts about social media. I love that we can connect the whole world together and see what's going on all the time all around the world. I think it's a great concept because there are so many things we need to open our minds up to.
 
On the other hand, I don't like how it consumes us. I've never liked how people are constantly on their phones and social media is probably the biggest part of that. Think about it: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Yik Yak, Tinder. There are so many and so much of our precious time is wasted checking these all day long.
 
I was recently watching an interview of Ellar Coltrane (from Boyhood -- sorry I'm literally obsessed with this movie. It's all I've been thinking about and I don't think I'll stop talking about it for a little while) and he was saying how he's disgusted with social media. In one of the scenes from Boyhood, he rants about Facebook and I think it's all true: "I don't want to live life through a screen" I think, while sometimes social media is really positive and uplifting, it's also very negative and hurtful.
 
I've thought multiple times about deleting some of my apps and living more in the now. I'd actually really like to do that and by talking more about it on here, I think I might.
 
What are your thoughts? I just think people spend too much time living online and need to live more in their real-life present.

0 Comments: